Long Island MacArthur Airport
MacArthur Airport is owned and operated by the Town of Islip. It serves about 2 million passengers annually, and covers over 1,300 acres, with three runways.
In 1942, the Town of Islip contracted with the Federal Government to build an airfield on town-owned land that the military could use. It underwent many updates and expansions throughout the 20th century. Then in 1960, Allegheny Airlines became the first airline to operate scheduled passenger service with flights from MacArthur. In 2006, a $90 million Southwest Airlines terminal building was completed.
Located in Ronkonkoma, 50 miles outside New York City. The airport is conveniently accessible from three major east‐west thoroughfares: located one mile north of Sunrise Highway; four miles south of the Long Island Expressway; and connecting to Veteran’s Memorial Highway.
● The airport serves 1.6M passengers annually and employs 6,000 people directly and indirectly, with a $16M annual operating budget and an economic impact of $600M to the region and local economy.
● The airport has recently installed a new state-of-the-art 3D TSA checkpoint scanner to improve screening and detection capabilities, as well as parking vendor automated payment options and charging stations.
● ISP was the first airport in the world to install Silver Defender antimicrobial films on all high-touch surfaces.
What to dress for
Long Island forecast